Euclid Public Library was created in 1935 from two branch libraries located in Euclid Central and Shore High Schools. A library Board was appointed. Post war years saw an expansion of Euclid's population, and as each new school was built, EPL established a branch in the school. By 1958 we had 12 branches which pointed out the need for a main library. The library Board was able to save enough money in a building fund to build a library on the present East 222nd Street site at a cost of nearly $300,000. That original building remains part of the library today.
Avis Lane was library director from September 1940 to September 1966.
As Euclid's population grew so did library usage, and by 1964 the need for a larger library was apparent. Expansion funds were approved by Euclid voters, and a new addition that tripled the size of the original building was completed in 1966. In 1985 the building was remodeled and updated once again to make better use of existing space. This enabled the addition of space for small discussion groups, preschool story hours, technological advancements, and accessibility for the disabled.
Joseph Bana was library director from September 1966 to December 1985.
Judith Coleman was library director from January 1986 to March 1989.
Dan Siebersma was library director from September 1989 to May 1992.
In the next ten years library circulation doubled. Audiovisual collections grew from zero to more than 12,000 items. Meeting rooms were filled to capacity. Through a strategic planning process, the community expressed its desire for a technology center, more space for children's and young adult services, a designated area for an African-American collection, better accessibility for the disabled, and more meeting rooms.
In 1995 the residents of Euclid recognized these needs by approving a bond issue for construction of an expanded facility to house these services. That facility is now a reality with 48,000 square feet on the original site.
Donna Perdzock has been library director from May 1992 until December 2012.
Kacie Armstrong began serving as director in January of 2013. At the same time the library began a refocus of its interior space. A total renovation of the interior created a new repurposed environment more in keeping with current usage of the facility.