What is a Rubik's Cube? In case you've never seen one, Rubik's Cube is a puzzle in the form of a plastic cube covered with multicolored squares. The player attempts to twist and turn the cube so that all the squares on each face are of the same color. Over the years, Rubik's Cube has become one of the most recognizable toys ever created. In 1974, a man by the name of Emo Rubik from Hungary invented the cube. If you've ever struggled to solve this puzzle, you're not alone. It took Mr. Rubik en entire month to solve it, even after he created it! Nowadays, the puzzle can be solved in less than 20 moves, much fewer than the attempts that Rubik made. The cube became so popular that it won the Toy of the Year Award in both 1980 and 1981. As of today, there have been more than 350 million Rubik's Cubes sold world-wide.
- A three-year old girl from China was able to solve the Cube in 114 seconds
- The Cube has over 43 quintillion possible moves
- Patrick Bossert, a 13-year old, was the first to publish a book on how to solve the cube. He sold 1.5 million copies
- Lucas Etter was the first person to solve the Cube in less than 5 seconds
- The Sub1 robot is able to solve the Rubik's Cube in under one second